New Technology

This announcement was made this week: For the first time, scientists at IBM Research have demonstrated that a relatively new memory technology, known as phase-change memory (PCM), can reliably store multiple data bits per cell over extended periods of time.

This significant improvement advances the development of low-cost, faster and more durable memory applications for consumer devices, including mobile phones and cloud storage, as well as high-performance applications, such as enterprise data storage.

With a combination of speed, endurance, non-volatility and density, PCM can enable a paradigm shift for enterprise IT and storage systems within the next five years.
(Full story here.)

Which led me to thinking: What new technologies will we see over the next five years? Ten years?

Also, which technological gadget would you like to see now?
As for me, I'd love to get my hands on the technology to teleport. Think how much time you could save in commuting!

5 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Teleportation would rule. Also medical advances that could keep people alive into their 200s would be nice.

Miranda Hardy said...

Oh, I would love to be able to travel to places I've never been, which is most everywhere.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

It is so hard to imagine future tech, because the scientists keep racing ahead of the fiction writers! (I'm both, and I can't even keep up!!)

Trisha Wolfe said...

I seriously want something that will clean my house for me, like in a snap. I think that's more magic than tech, but whatever, I want it!

beck nicholas said...

Oohh... future tech. Teleportation would be nice. invisibility - ok... probs magic. What about metabolising chocolate like lettuce?
=)